21 - Theater










Next Chapter: 22 - Loose Ends




Keith finally confronts Jurji about Kaz' dead, and we also see what was probably Keiths lowest point of his entire life. Maybe it's understandable that Jurji decided to hide the truth from him...
This chapter ends a bit abruptly, but I was really biased between making it long and adding the whole talk and separating it. In the end, I wanted to stick with the short chapters and made a cut.

After a long, looong interruption that wasn't really intended, I finally managed to continue. I hope there'll still be a few readers. Of course, the overall low interest isn't exactly a huge motivation, but I mainly blame work and rl-related stress for the long hiatus. Also, spring/summer are always seasons that kill my inspiration. ^^"






I'd like to go a bit more into Keiths and Jurjis relationship here, you don't have to read it, or if you want, you can share your own impressons, of course! I didn't show Keiths rehab or his acute struggles too much in the story, but I hope they're still visible enough - he overdosed shortly after the attack, which you can see from the bandage on his arm. Also, it's raining outside, which is something that always reminds Keith of this night, and he watched a music DVD from Kaz, what eventually made him snap.
So I hope it's clear that Keith refers to Jurji manipulating him because of Jurjis promise back then - that he'll keep Kaz alive. Keith continued and went to rehab solely for Kaz' safety. Knowing Kaz will at least be safe, was the main thing that gave Keith the strength to go through rehab. And of course, Jurji didn't tell him that Kaz died because he was afraid that Keith would do something very stupid again.
Jurji comes off kinda harsh, and very dominant, which is actually a bit of acting, too. He thinks Keith needs this kind of treatment and that he wouldn't achieve anything with a softer treatment (which is probably true). But he also hides that he deeply cares about Keith by acting stern and cold (he also tries to treat Keith in the same bossy way as other employees about whom he cares less personally). I guess it's still very visible that he cares about Keith more than he probably should. Keith, in his misery, isn't really aware of that, and I'd even blame him for being ungrateful to Jurji. Of course he's struggling heavily, and fights his emotions and his addiction, so he's a bit blind towards other things. He may not even realize how often Jurji saved his ass already. I guess this makes Keith look really bad as a character (but he'll improve, most likely... maybe... probably... 🙃).
Of course, Jurji's commanding tone makes Keith feel like a tool, since he's blind for Jurjis feelings, and all in all, he'd probably really need someone more caring, maybe a hug or something. ^^" Of course he wouldn't admit it.

Comments

  1. I find this chapter especially fascinating because it show what Keith needs and what others think he needs. Keith thinks that Jurji sees him as belonging - because Jurji thinks he needs a push, hard and strong. Beautiful and nasty smile of Keith is present here! I love how it's like he wants to stab and somehow gets stabbed too. Love the psychological aspects of this chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love writing dialogues like this, but it's always difficult to draw them. Yes, Keith shouldn't try to win an argument with Jurji. xD

      Delete
  2. This comment was mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith's second thoughts, deciding it was probably better that he hadn't shown his naked body to Gab, hit me really hard and were so relatable... Also, that sweet belly 😭. It's as though shedding that corset, he is also shedding any further pretences and decides to confront his boss.

    That face-off between Jurji and Keith... oh my! The retrospection gripped me even harder. It was Jurji who found Keith after the OD and essentially saved his life! 
    This is an incredibly depicted duel where no one is fully sincere and so much is left unsaid. There might be possessiveness in Jurji, but there is also care. Yet as Keith has all his grievances loaded, he doesn't want care and softness, he wants to fight. Also, that softness would be seen as weakness on Jurji's part, so he offers only the sharp edge. It feels so real that all they have for each other at that moment are painful words.
    Such a powerful chapter!

    After reading your notes, I can assure you that it was all very well visible in the comic. And Keith is so deeply human in all this that I wouldn't worry that him being ungrateful is detrimental for the readers' engagement in the character. Quite the opposite. After all, he doesn't know the extent of care Jurji provided for him, and only knows his own pain and betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 🖤🖤 It still makes me so happy that youlike his body shape ;A; And he still has some way to go until he accepts himself. Also, the description that he sheds his mask together with his costume fit so well!
      I really put a lot of time, love and effort into the dialogues I write (which is sometimes a bit difficult to draw... my novels and scripts always have many dialogues ^^"), and I'm really happy if they feel real. Especially with Jurji and Keith, there's a lot of past and personal reasons why they both aren't fully honest.

      Delete
  4. What an intense chapter! I could have easily kept reading ;) It’s interesting to see Gab appearing more and more often in Keith’s thoughts. And it was so exciting to get a glimpse into Jurji and Keith’s relationship! I’ve been really looking forward to this conflict between the two of them, and I found the way you handled it incredibly believable. I could relate to both characters—the way Jurji worries about Keith and shows his care in such a tough way, and Keith’s breakdown and anger.
    The panel where Keith overdoses while watching Kaz’s DVD particularly touched me. Every emotion and subtle nuance comes through in the images, conveying all the feelings and complexity you wrote in the description—you did a fantastic job <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! 🖤🖤 Yes, Gab already made his way into Keiths mind. I'm happy you find their relationship believable. Personally, writing dialogues is among my favorite things, even though it's easier to write than to draw.

      Delete

Post a Comment